Unless noted specifically otherwise. the below policies apply to both continuing and new students.

Note: Students are subject to any and all policies as listed below, and at http://homewoodgrad.jhu.edu/, and at https://engineering.jhu.edu/graduate-studies/academic-policies-procedures-graduate/, and at https://krieger.jhu.edu/, and at https://www.jhu.edu/university-policies/, as well as other JHU policies as defined by academic and/or administrative departments. Please visit the University-Wide Policies and Information page for additional information.

Statement of the Rights and Responsibilities of Ph.D. Students, and Policy on Mentoring Commitment at Johns Hopkins University

Ph.D. education is fundamental to the University’s teaching and research mission. For an intellectual community of scholars to flourish, it is important to acknowledge the principles that underlie the compact between Ph.D. students, the faculty, and other members of the University community.

It is in this spirit that the Doctor of Philosophy Board, in collaboration with faculty and students from across the University, has articulated a statement of rights and responsibilities for doctoral students at Johns Hopkins, as well as a separate policy about mentoring commitments for PhD students and their advisors. The principles described in these documents are to be realized in policies and practices established by the various Schools of the University; the Schools will also develop mechanisms to monitor and enforce such policies.

Academic Misconduct and Research Integrity Policies

The Krieger School of Arts and Sciences (KSAS) and the Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) full-time programs and Engineering for Professionals have established the Academic and Research Misconduct Policy to address instances of misconduct by all graduate students enrolled in full-time, part-time or non-degree (special student) Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering graduate programs.

Procedures for handling allegations of misconduct by full-time and part-time graduate students are available in the Graduate Academic Misconduct Policy.

Procedures for handling allegations of research misconduct by full-time and part-time graduate students are available in the The University Research Integrity Policy.

Graduate Student Vacation Policy

To ensure the personal well-being and pro­ductivity of our graduate students, safe­guard against excessive demands on gradu­ate students’ personal time, and introduce a minimum standard across the two Home­wood schools regarding leave, the Deans of KSAS and WSE have established guidelines for Graduate Students (not enrolled in a lecture course, etc.) to be able to take leave. A detailed description of the policy can be found here: http://homewoodgrad.jhu.edu/academics/policies/.

Annual Review Policy

Once per academic year, all full‐time Homewood graduate programs are required to provide a written review to:

  1. all doctoral students, and
  2. all master’s students conducting thesis research.

Departments should include mention of funding continuation, as appropriate; as well as have a space for discussion about the student’s professional development goals, and ways to develop strategies to achieve those goals. This review must include the opportunity for the student to offer self‐evaluation. Students who fail to attain a program’s minimum level of performance may be placed on academic probation or dismissed using the procedures outlined in the Homewood Schools Policy for Graduate Student Probation, Dismissal, and Funding Withdrawal. In making these decisions, particularly that of dismissal, the program will take into consideration extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control.

The Whiting School of Engineering has established a Guide to Effective Annual Reviews to assist both advisors and students make these annual reviews a useful tool in the development of each student.

PhD Advisor/Good Standing Policy

A PhD student conducting research and/or in the writing phase of their degree program will not be able to remain in good standing with their academic and research progress if they do not have a research/dissertation advisor1. As such, a student who is unable to secure a research/dissertation advisor within 4 months of either:

  1. a curriculum/program requirement to find an advisor and/or
  2. leaving/parting ways with a previous advisor

may be placed on probation or terminated from the PhD program due to a lack of faculty-advised progress.

Note that it is typically not the role of a department to find an advisor for a student, but program Directors of Graduate Study and Chairs/Heads are typically able and willing to offer guidance and suggestions for students who are looking for an advisor. Different programs may have specific policies pertaining to the timeline of advisor assignments and grace periods for students switching advisors, but typically should not have a grace period of less than 2 months for a student to find a new advisor. Students should consult with their departmental Academic Staff and/or Director of Graduate Study for guidance.

This policy applies to both continuing and new students.

  • 1
  • A research/dissertation advisor is best defined as a departmentally-approved faculty member under whose guidance a student is conducting research/writing their dissertation and, in many cases, in whose lab/group the student is associated and expected to participate.

Grievance Policy

Any faculty member, postdoctoral fellow or graduate student of either school may grieve an adverse action or failure to act, or for a violation of University, School or departmental policy. Typically a complaint or dispute is brought to the attention of a department chair or center director and is resolved through informal discussion. In some circumstances, the Dean is asked to help in the informal resolution of grievances. The formal procedure set forth below is not meant to supplant attempts at resolving complaints through informal means. When at all possible, complaints and disputes should be settled through informal discussion, though there are no circumstances under which a grievance must be settled informally.

Please note that nothing in our policy should be construed to impinge upon the responsibilities of any office and/or regularly constituted body of the University, and should be applied only after every effort has been made to settle disputes informally. Moreover, no action may be taken with respect to a grievance that would conflict with or modify any policy approved by the Board of Trustees of the University, any policy of the University or WSE/KSAS, any federal, state, or local law or regulation, or any contract to which the University is a party.

The university policy and process on filing a grievance is available here.

Jury and Witness Duty

A KSAS or WSE graduate student receiving stipend/salary from the school (i.e., a teaching assistant, research assistant paid by the university, research assistant paid by an external grant/fellowship or hourly worker) summoned for jury duty or subpoenaed to testify, is authorized to be absent from their university obligations for the actual time required by such service. A graduate student employee (salary/hourly) must present the summons or subpoena to their immediate supervisor before a leave can be issued.

Graduate student employees are eligible for paid leave of absence as a juror or court witness. Federal work study funds, however, cannot be used in these instances -- departments should fund this time using other resources.

Jury duty or duty as a court witness is service and time spent away from a University position as a result of a subpoena issued by a court. Service as a volunteer expert witness or other volunteer court duty is not included in the provisions of this leave.

Homewood Schools Policy for Graduate Student Probation, Funding Withdrawal, and Dismissal

This policy addresses consequences of student underperformance, including funding withdrawal. Students who might lose financial support as a result of the termination of funding from an advisor’s sponsor should be given prompt notice, whenever possible.

For comprehensive information see the Graduate Student Probation Funding Withdrawal and Dismissal Policy.

Information Technology Policies

All users of Johns Hopkins University computing resources must comply with the University's information technology policies. For the comprehensive policies go to http://it.jhu.edu/policies/itpolicies.html.

G.W.C. Whiting School of Engineering - Specific Policies

See http://engineering.jhu.edu/graduate-studies/academic-policies-procedures-graduate/   and  https://homewoodgrad.jhu.edu/academics/policies/

Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts and Sciences - Specific Policies

See https://homewoodgrad.jhu.edu/academics/policies/