Requirements for the Minor
Students who wish to minor in Latin American, Caribbean, and Latinx Studies (LACLxS) must complete a minimum of 18 credits comprising at least six courses offered by (AS.361.xxx) or cross-listed with LACLxS. In addition, students must demonstrate proficiency through the intermediate level in Spanish, Portuguese, or an Amerindian language by either taking courses or by demonstrating proficiency through documentation or a language department exam. Language courses taken to meet the minimum proficiency of the minor do not count toward the six required courses. Of the six courses required:
- No more than two may be in additional language study (AS.210.xxx).
- Two must be taken outside of the Modern Languages and Literatures Department.
- Four courses must be at the 300-400 level.
- Independent study courses may only apply with permission of the DUS, and no more than 2 will be allowed.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade and be completed with a grade of C- or better.
|Language Proficiency Requirement:|
|Language Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, or Amerindian language through the intermediate level *||0-14|
|Six Latin American Studies Courses:|
|Two Latin American Studies courses at any level (100-400) **||6|
|Four Latin American Studies courses at the 300 or 400 level||12|
Language requirements can be waived for those who demonstrate suitable proficiency (via placement exam) in either Spanish or Portuguese or in an Amerindian language such as Quechua or Guarani. Courses taken for the language requirement may not count towards the six required courses of the minor.
3-credit intersession courses taken for a letter grade offered by JHU may be used to fulfill this requirement. All courses should be at least three credits and either be AS.361.xxx courses or cross-listed with LACLxS.