General Admission Policy

The admission process for degree and certificate programs in the School of Education is designed to assure academic quality and program integrity. The admission process respects the dignity, privacy, and academic well-being of the applicant and is based on principles of fairness and equality of opportunity.

Johns Hopkins University is committed to equal opportunity for its faculty, staff, and students. To that end, the University does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or other legally protected characteristic. The University is committed to providing qualified individuals access to all academic and employment programs, benefits and activities on the basis of demonstrated ability, performance and merit without regard to personal factors that are irrelevant to the program involved.

Admission to the School of Education is competitive and is based upon the applicant’s previous academic performance, experience and achievement, recommendations, and other relevant data. Applications are reviewed by the faculty of the programs to which the applicant applies.

To be admitted to a School of Education degree or certificate program, students must apply online. At minimum, the application requirements will include:

  • A completed online application form and payment of $80 application fee (unless otherwise waived).
  • An essay/statement of purpose (instructions and length will vary by program).
  • A CV or résumé.
  • Three (for doctoral and accelerated [full-time] master’s programs) or two (for all other programs) signed letters of recommendation.
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
  • Completed admissions dispositions survey.

Note: In order to graduate and receive a diploma for completion of a degree or certificate program, students must first have applied to and been admitted into that same program(s) prior to applying to graduate.

Official Transcripts

Official transcript(s) from prior undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) institutions are required.

  • An official transcript is defined as a transcript received directly from the issuing institution (whether on paper and still in the envelope or a certified electronic copy) that is properly signed/authenticated.
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions are required, not only from the institutions that conferred the degree(s). Transcripts must reflect all coursework taken from every post-secondary institution attended, even if you transferred, withdrew, did not graduate, or the coursework appears on other transcripts.
  • College seniors in their final academic year should submit current official transcripts from all previous colleges or universities attended directly after completing the online application, followed by a final official transcript showing the award of the baccalaureate degree prior to matriculation at the School of Education.

Official records of undergraduate and, where applicable, graduate transcripts must be mailed or delivered through the issuing institution's electronic transcript delivery service to the Office of Admissions, while other application materials—the essay, CV/ résumé, the dispositions survey, and signed letters of recommendation—can be uploaded electronically using SIS (Student Information System) Self-Service or mailed after the online application has been completed.

Mailing address:
Johns Hopkins School of Education
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 180
Columbia, MD 21046-2100

The Office of Admissions will not accept documentation such as grade reports, student advising reports, screenshots of student accounts, or any other document not released by the Registrar as a substitute for an official, authenticated transcript.

Academic records (transcripts, diplomas, and degree certificates) from non-U.S. institutions must be evaluated by an authorized credential evaluation agency and sent to the Office of Admissions in lieu of transcripts. A course-by-course evaluation is required for all post-secondary credentials (undergraduate and graduate, if applicable) for academic coursework completed outside of the United States and Canada (see International Student Admission Policy).

Note: This does not pertain to students from the United States and Canada spending a semester or year abroad, often referred to as “study abroad.”

Supplemental Materials

Applicants should consult the Admissions section of the SOE website and individual program webpages to determine specific admission criteria, suitability of prior qualifications, or certification requirements for individual programs. Examples of supplemental materials include:

  • Third letter of recommendation: A third letter of recommendation can also be included on the recommendation section of the online application.
  • Academic writing sample: If required, this should also be uploaded with the online application.
  • Standardized tests: If required, all test scores must be official scores sent directly from the test administrator to the Office of Admissions and must be received by the stated applicant deadlines.

For the GRE, TOEFL, or other tests administered by Educational Testing Services (ETS), the assigned institution code for the School of Education is as follows:

  • GRE Institution code 5470
  • TOEFL Institution code 8585

The School of Education's other testing provider institution codes include:

  • CLEP Institution Code 3928
  • Praxis Institution Code 5332
  • SAT Institution Code 3926

Falsification & Accuracy of Application Materials

The School of Education reserves the right to rescind any offer of admission if any discrepancies are found between uploaded and official academic records and test scores, or if altered or forged records are submitted. All official transcripts from previous institutions (whether a degree has been earned or not) are required to be listed on the online application form and submitted in an official format to the Office of Admissions. Additionally, if any essay, personal statement, or other supplemental materials contains plagiarized information, the School of Education will rescind any admission offer. If this information is discovered after matriculation at the institution, disciplinary action may be taken up to and including dismissal from the School.

Admissions Deadlines & Priority Consideration

Applicants should consult the Admissions section of the website to determine specific deadlines for the submission of an application. Where listed, rolling admission means that completed applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis up until the program start date, not after a set deadline. Applications will be accepted until programs reach capacity. If a program reaches full capacity, a notice will be posted on the admissions and individual program pages. Applicants applying for federal financial aid or scholarship consideration are recommended to submit a completed application by April 1.

Admissions Review Process & Timeframe for Notification of Decision

The Office of Admissions receives and processes all applications for admission to School of Education programs and works closely with applicants and the programs areas to verify the status of an application. Each program determines its own process for reviewing completed applications. The length of the application review process and timeframe for receiving an admission decision varies from program to program. Some programs review and make recommendations on a rolling basis; others meet regularly to review applications and make decisions based on a set schedule. Because there is no one standard process programs use to review applications and establish timeframes, the Office of Admissions cannot provide a specific timeframe between submission and receipt of decision for applicants.

Admission to the School of Education is determined at the program level. Admission decisions are made after a full review of the materials in the completed application. Programs consider grade point average and, for some programs, standardized test scores. The application review process also takes into consideration professional experience and other distinctive characteristics of individual learners. Qualified applicants may also be contacted to schedule a personal or group admission interview. Students who are found to have provided fraudulent or incomplete information during the admission process may be disqualified or have any offer of admission rescinded.

Admission Decision Notification & Offers of Admission

Applicants offered admission can expect to receive notification of their decision by email. Applicants will be required to accept, decline, or defer the offer of admission using the School of Education’s SIS Self-Service. The School of Education offers admission with the expectation that students will enroll in courses in the semester for which they are admitted, unless a deferral is granted (see below).

Deferrals & Reapplication for Admission

Requests for deferred admission will be considered by a program only after an offer of admission has been made and accepted. If a deferral is granted, the applicant may not apply to any other School of Education program. A student who requests and is approved to defer admission is considered under an obligation to enroll and attend the academic program the following year. Admitted students (excluding those admitted into the Doctor of Education and Doctor of Philosophy programs) may request to defer admission into a program for up to two semesters or one year from the semester for which they were admitted. To request an admission deferral, please send an email to the Office of Admissions at Admitted students cannot defer admission once they have registered for a course in the School of Education. Financial aid and tuition support (e.g., awards) are not automatically deferred. Please contact the Financial Aid Office before requesting a deferral.

Note: Newly admitted students who have registered [matriculated] for a course who subsequently wish to withdraw from the course(s) they have enrolled in and re-enroll in the program at a later date should contact the Office of the Registrar—see also Withdrawing from a Course.

Note: Veterans applying for readmission following inactivation/deactivation of a previous admission decision cannot be denied entrance for reasons relating to their service.

Note: For the online Doctor of Education program, an offer of admission is for the specific cohort for which an application was submitted. An applicant may accept or decline the admission offer, but deferring to the next cohort in not an option.

Graduate Certificate and Master’s Degree Admission Policy

In addition to the above admission requirements, applicants for graduate certificate and master’s degree programs must:

  • Hold a bachelor’s degree (and in some cases a master’s degree) from an accredited college or university.
  • Have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all previous undergraduate and graduate studies (including for incomplete programs of study and for programs still in progress).

Note: In exceptional circumstances, the School of Education may consider admitting an applicant whose GPA falls below a 3.0 GPA, provided they demonstrate other qualities that suggest they have the ability to succeed in a given academic program.

Doctoral Degree Admission Policy

See the Doctoral programs web page——for the specific admission requirements for the School of Education’s PhD and EdD programs.

Health Insurance for School of Education Students

The School of Education offers full- and part-time certificate and degree-seeking students health, dental and vision insurance coverage. It is university policy that all full-time students maintain adequate health insurance coverage to provide protection against unexpected accidents and illnesses. All students enrolled in full-time programs and currently without health insurance coverage should enroll in the Johns Hopkins University Student Health Benefit plan. (Note: Full-time students with pre-existing health insurance coverage can choose not to enroll in the university plan.) International Students with an F-1 or J-1 Visa status are required to purchase the university plan and will be automatically enrolled.

The university plan is administered by Wellfleet, which has contracted with Cigna’s network of providers. The annual coverage period is August 15, 2020, to August 15, 2021. Please note that this is an annual plan with only one enrollment period. (Note: Students admitted into the Master of Science in Education/Urban Teachers collaboration program have a different enrollment deadline and coverage period from other SOE students.)

Students can enroll in the plan via the SIS Self-Service website (look for the “Personal Info” tab and then select “Health Insurance”). Coverage will automatically renew for the spring once a student enrolls in spring semester courses. Students are billed for the premium on their SIS student account and are subject to the payment guidelines of the Office of Student Accounts unless other payment arrangements have been made. Coverage for eligible dependents is available at an additional cost.

Plan Details

For more detailed information about the Johns Hopkins University Student Health Benefit plan, please visit or on the JHU benefits site.

To locate the nearest hospital or health care provider who is part of the Cigna PPO Network, visit the Cigna website at or contact Wellfleet at (877) 657-5044 or

For information regarding the vision plan, visit; for information regarding the new dental plan, visit Additional resources and cost of coverage information can be found on the JHU benefits website at or by contacting

It is the student’s responsibility to be an informed consumer, know how the plan works, benefits, providers, payment responsibility, etc. Please note that Wellfleet is the insurer, while Cigna is the provider. All plan questions should be directed to Wellfleet, not Cigna. For more detailed information about the insurance plan or if your academic program does not begin in the fall, visit Wellfleet at  or call (877) 657-5044 directly. You may also contact the Office of the Registrar at or 410-516-9816.

ID Cards

A copy of your Insurance ID card will be available to print through SIS at the start of the plan period.

If Your Current Non-JHU Insurance Coverage Is Ending

Currently enrolled students whose existing non-JHU health insurance coverage is ending can enroll in the Johns Hopkins University Student Health Benefit plan due to a qualifying life event before the published enrollment date by submitting a copy of the termination letter from their current insurance carrier to New coverage is available beginning the 15th of each month and continues until the next regular enrollment date.

International Student Admission Policy

Demonstration of English Language Proficiency

As one measure of potential for academic success while a student in the School of Education, international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English.

To demonstrate proficiency, international applicants must submit official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores if English is not their native language. The minimum TOEFL requirement is 600 (paper-based) or 100 (Internet-based). The minimum IELTS requirement is an overall band score of 7.0 (with no individual score below 6.0). Tests must be taken within two years from the intended term of entry. In addition, applicants to certain graduate degree programs may be required to provide additional evidence of English proficiency, including:

  • An in-person or telephone interview (for example, via Skype).
  • A writing sample certified to be the applicant’s own work.
  • A writing examination administered by the School of Education.

The program the applicant is applying to will determine and request the additional evidence of English proficiency required for admission. The program may grant a waiver from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if the applicant has demonstrated by other means sufficient proficiency in spoken and written English for success in the program. An applicant may file a TOEFL/IELTS waiver request form when submitting his/her application to the Office of Admissions. The waiver form can be found online at

Some international applicants may be admitted with the requirement that they complete a workshop(s) and/or course(s) in spoken and/or written English.

International Credential Evaluation

Applicants who hold degrees or have earned credits from non-U.S. institutions must have their academic records evaluated by an accredited independent credential evaluation agency before they can be considered for admission to a degree program. Applicants should make arrangements with an authorized credential evaluation agency for an evaluation of their academic credentials, an assessment of the overall grade point average, and a course-by-course evaluation (including course titles, grades and credit hours, where applicable), U.S. degree equivalency, and a date of degree conferral. The official course-by-course evaluation should be sent to the Office of Admissions in lieu of academic transcripts. Evaluations should be sent by the agency to:

Johns Hopkins School of Education
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 180
Columbia, MD 21046-2100

Because fees and documents required for evaluation may vary by agency, applicants are encouraged to contact the agencies directly for additional information. The following is a sample list of recognized credential evaluation agencies:

World Education Services, Inc.

Educational Credential Evaluators

Admissions Policy for International Students Requiring a Student (F-1) Visa

An international applicant requiring a student (F-1) visa to attend school must obtain full admission to a degree program well in advance of the start of the semester. The School of Education does not issue certificates of eligibility (Form I-20) for:

  1. conditional acceptance to a degree program,
  2. a fully online program, or
  3. any certificate programs.

The application and other required admission documents must be received by the Office of Admissions on or before the posted application deadlines. If applications and other required documents are not received by the Office of Admissions on or before the deadline, the application will automatically be considered for the next available semester. F-1 students are required to show proof that they can afford all tuition and expenses for the academic year in order to receive their I-20 status.

Upon receipt of an acceptance package from the School of Education, the international student who needs to obtain a student (F-1) visa is required to contact the Office of International Services (OIS, at 667-208-7001 or to request a certificate of eligibility (Form I-20). The I-20 is not automatically sent with the acceptance package. Before an I-20 is issued, the international student is required to send financial documentation and a notarized affidavit of support to:

Johns Hopkins School of Education
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 180
Columbia, MD 21046-2100

In order to maintain F-1 visa status, students must adhere to the regulations set by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Failure to abide by any of the regulations could result in students being considered “out-of-status” by USCIS.

Upon arrival at Johns Hopkins, international students on an F-1 visa are required to visit the OIS and bring passports, I-94 cards, and I-20s. Before leaving the United States for any reason, the I-20 must be signed by an OIS staff member in order for the student to re-enter the country. It is imperative to schedule an appointment with the OIS four weeks prior to the departure date.

Students on an F-1 visa must pursue a full course of study at the school listed on the currently valid Form I-20 during every academic session or semester, except during official school breaks. Full-time status/full course of study is defined by the School of Education as being enrolled in minimally nine credits each fall and nine credits each spring semester for graduate study, and as being enrolled in minimally 12 credits each fall and 12 credits each spring semester for undergraduate study.

Credits completed during the January intersession are counted toward the spring semester count (for example, three credits completed in the 2019 January intersession and six credits completed in the 2019 spring semester, equate to nine credits for the spring 2019 semester). Summer semester courses are not considered when calculating full-time F-1 visa status, although credit earned during summer semester courses may be applied toward a student’s degree.

In order to comply with USCIS regulations, all F-1 students are required to register for the full course load at the beginning of each fall and each spring semester. Other regulations are outlined in the letter the international student receives with the Form I-20.

Assisting students on F-1 visas is central to the support for international students provided by OIS. The office can also assist students who hold other nonimmigrant visas and direct them to
the appropriate resources or government offices. If students are unclear about the type of visa they should obtain, they should visit the USCIS website at for additional information, or contact OIS at 667-208-7001 or with any questions.

All current international students on F-1 visas sponsored by the School of Education are automatically subscribed to the International Service listserv upon the first semester of enrollment. Regular updates are sent regarding visa-related matters and other items of interest to international students.

Note: Federal financial aid is not available for international students.

Note: For summer semester admissions, international applicants may be considered for full-time graduate degree programs only. Applications for part-time degree programs beginning in the summer will not be considered.

International Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree)

International applicants who hold types of visas other than an F-1 visa and who wish to enroll as part-time Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) should follow the application directions outlined under Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree). International graduate students attending other institutions on student (F-1) visas during the regular academic year are also welcome to enroll as Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) during the summer.

Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree)

Post-baccalaureate students who wish to take graduate level credit courses (.500-level and above), but who are not interested in earning a degree or certificate, may enroll as Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree). Potential Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) applicants should speak with the Office of Admissions (1-877-548-7631) before applying.

Note: Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) status is not permitted for persons seeking initial teacher certification, nor are Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) eligible to apply for financial aid.

Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) must meet all prerequisites for course registration and are subject to School of Education academic standards. Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) must possess a bachelor’s or graduate degree from an accredited college or university and have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all previous undergraduate and graduate studies (including incomplete programs of study and for programs still in progress). Applicants wishing to register for courses above the .500-level must receive the approval from the academic area of emphasis to which the course belongs. Some courses are restricted to degree-seeking students only. Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) applicants must submit:

  • An application online.
  • $25 application fee.
  • Official transcripts from all accredited post-secondary institutions attended.

Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) applicants will receive an admission decision via email, generally no more than two weeks after submission of the complete application.

Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) Seeking to Apply to a Full Degree/Certificate Program

Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) who subsequently wish to enroll in a School of Education degree or certificate program must submit a new application and all required supporting materials (see General Admission Policy). Prior admission as a Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) does not guarantee subsequent admission to a School of Education degree or certificate program. Any application of credits earned as a Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) toward a degree or certificate is subject to approval by the program to which the applicant is seeking admission. The number of credits earned by a Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) that may be applied toward a School of Education degree or certificate varies by program, but in no case shall exceed 9 credits. Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree) who do not intend to pursue or apply credits toward a degree or certificate program may register for courses totaling more than 9 credits, but in no circumstances can these additional credits be applied toward a School of Education degree or certificate program.

School of Education Alumni Seeking to Enroll as Graduate Special Students (Non-Degree)

Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree) status is well suited for School of Education graduate degree- and certificate-holders who are interested in taking additional courses for personal and professional development, as opposed to pursuing another degree or certificate. School of Education alumni may enroll in further courses by completing the online application. No additional transcripts or application fees are required for this status.

Transfer of Graduate Credits

The maximum number of graduate credits earned at another accredited college or university that may be transferred into a graduate certificate or master’s program in the School of Education varies by program, but in no case shall exceed three credits for graduate certificates and six credits for master’s degrees. For doctoral programs, the maximum number of transferable graduate credits allowed is 36 credits for the EdD program (42 credits in certain cases) and 12 credits for the PhD program. Graduate-level credits that were earned as part of a bachelor’s degree program cannot be transferred into an SOE graduate program.

In most cases, for graduate certificate or master’s programs, the School of Education will normally only accept transfer credits for courses taken no more than five years prior to a student’s acceptance into the program. The final decision regarding whether or not to accept graduate transfer credits, whether earned externally or internally (i.e. via another School of Education or other Johns Hopkins University graduate program), into a School of Education certificate or degree program rests:

  1. (for applicants) with the respective program, or
  2. (for enrolled students) with the faculty adviser or major adviser (for doctoral students), and will be decided upon on a case by case basis.

Only graduate level credits earned at the grade of “B” or above (or equivalent) may be transferred into a School of Education graduate degree or certificate program.

A matriculated graduate student in the School who, under extraordinary circumstances, wishes to take a course offered by another institution to satisfy School of Education degree requirements must obtain written approval in advance from the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs (or designee). Approval is granted only in exceptional cases.

Changing Programs


Applicants to degree or certificate programs who wish to change to another degree or certificate program offered within the School of Education must submit a request in writing to the Office of Admissions at

Admitted Students

Students who have already been admitted to a degree or certificate program, and who wish to change to another degree or certificate program within the same program area must request the change to be approved by the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs (or designee). If an admitted student wishes to change to another degree or certificate program outside the program area in which the original offer of admission was granted, s/he must contact the Office of Admissions for further instructions. A change of program may require submission of a new application form and additional admissions materials not required as part of the original application (for example, a writing sample may now be required).

Admitted students seeking to change programs are not automatically admitted to a new program; their requests must be approved by the appropriate person(s) and the decision communicated directly to the student. Financial aid recipients must notify the Financial Aid Office when changing a degree or certificate program.

Adding a Second Master’s Degree

Graduates with a School of Education master’s degree who subsequently enroll in a second master’s program must complete a minimum of 30 additional credits beyond the first master’s program to earn a second master’s degree. The second master’s program may, however, include specific program requirements that obligate students to take more than the minimum 30 additional credits. (Refer to individual program descriptions for specific credit requirements.) Students should submit an online application. Application requirements (excluding transcripts and fees) such as the essay, CV/résumé, dispositions survey, and signed letters of recommendation can be uploaded electronically using SIS Self-Service or mailed to:

Johns Hopkins School of Education
Office of Admissions
6740 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 180
Columbia, MD 21046-2100

Note: Students may not enroll in (or apply for admission to enroll in) two master’s programs concurrently.

Admission to Other Schools of the University

Students in the School of Education who wish to transfer to one of the other schools in the university (such as Engineering, Public Health, or the Carey Business School) are required to submit an admission application to that school. Admission to the School of Education establishes no claim or priority for admission to any other school in the University. Documents submitted to the School of Education as part of the application process are not transferable to other schools of the University and remain on file within the School of Education for one year.