Students must sometimes interrupt their studies for a variety of reasons (academic, personal, or medical). A student may leave the School of Nursing (SON) by either taking a leave of absence (leaving the school temporarily with the firm and stated intention of returning) or by withdrawing from the school (leaving the school with no intention of returning). Before a student seeks an academic or personal leave of absence, the student must consult with his/her academic/faculty adviser and/or other resources available to assist with such a decision (Student Affairs, Program Director, etc.) and outline and agree to a program of study upon return.

Medical leave of absence may be granted for physical or mental health reasons with the approval of the Office of the Associate Dean of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs and may require proof of readiness to return to study. The goal of the readiness process is to ensure students are healthy enough to continue in coursework. If possible, before a student seeks a medical leave of absence, the student should consult with his/her academic/faculty adviser and outline and agree to a program of study upon return.

Leaves of absence are granted for specific time periods, generally up to one year. Students may take one leave of absence during the course of their program.

The SON is required by the Higher Education Act to recalculate the eligibility for federal Title IV student financial assistance for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence, prior to completing 60% of a semester. Title IV funds include: Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, and Federal Direct PLUS Loans.

The application of the Return of Title IV Funds Policy may result in funds being due to the SON and students are responsible for any outstanding balance due to the School of Nursing.


To submit a leave of absence (LOA) or withdrawal the student is expected to go through the following steps:

  1. Student downloads and completes the Leave of Absence/Withdrawal form:
  2. Student meets with academic/faculty adviser (MSN (Entry into Nursing), Executive DNP, or PhD) or track coordinator (Advanced Practice/Certificate) to discuss this decision and develop a proposed plan of study. If the LOA is a medical LOA, the Associate Dean for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs will work directly with the student to receive medical documentation and determine readiness for return process.
  3. The LOA form and proposed plan of study (if applicable) will be signed by the adviser/track coordinator.
  4. The adviser/track coordinator submits LOA form and proposed plan of study (if applicable) to the program director for final approval and signature.
  5. The Program Director submits the LOA form to the Office of Records and Registration.
  6. Once a leave of absence or withdrawal has been approved the Office of Records and Registration will finalize this process and will notify all SON officials (Adviser, Faculty, Program Director, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, etc.).
  7. Once the program director receives notification from the Office of Records and Registration that the LOA has been finalized, the program director will notify the student and student’s adviser/track coordinator.
  8. Financial Aid staff will recalculate the eligibility for federal Title IV student financial assistance for the student (if appropriate) and complete the JHU paperwork for this process.


  • Students on a LOA are not permitted to attend classes, use school services or maintain employment as students at the SON or other JHU school(s) while their leave is in effect.
  • An approved LOA is not counted toward a student’s time to degree and does not require the student to make degree progress during the period of the leave.
  • A student can request a LOA for up to one year (only). Students who do not return from a LOA (after one year) will be administratively withdrawn from the SON by the Registrar.
  • Students may take only one leave of absence while enrolled.
  • If a student must take a LOA during the semester/term, the student would be unenrolled for that semester, would lose their tuition and fees for the term, and would not receive credit for their coursework. If the midway point of the course has been reached a “W” will be posted for each course. If 70% of the course has passed then a “WP” or “WF” will be posted, dependent upon the student’s performance to date. If the leave occurred near the end of the semester and the student met the conditions for receiving grades of Incomplete, the student might wish to take grades of Incomplete. The student would need to follow current policy for making up Incompletes. The LOA would not affect the time frame allowed for making up “I” grades.

All international students who are in F-1 and J-1 visa status must follow a set of immigration regulations as outlined by the U.S. Government in order to maintain their international student status. Students who are in F-1 and J-1 visit status must meet with the JHU Office of International Student Services to discuss the decision to take a LOA or withdraw from the SON before submitting a completed Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Form.

Students who withdraw from JHSON in good standing may be considered for readmission. Students will be notified in writing by the Director of Admissions of their readmission status.