When at all possible, complaints and disputes should be resolved through informal discussion by the parties involved or office against whom the student has a complaint or dispute. 

The following points provide clarification as to what may not be considered under this grievance procedure.

  • Discrimination and Harassment. Complaints alleging discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, gender, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ethnicity, disability, marital status, or veteran status should be referred to the University’s Office of Institutional Equity (OIE).
  • Disability. OIE is responsible for the investigation and resolution of disability-related discrimination complaints received from faculty, staff, and students at Johns Hopkins University. For more information about filing an ADA or disability-related grievance, visit the OIE website.
  • Sexual Misconduct. Complaints alleging sexual harassment, sexual assault, or other sexual misconduct will be investigated by OIE.
  • Grade Disputes. Disputes involving grades are handled following the processes laid out in the School of Education’s grade appeals policy.
  • Student Academic Conduct. Disputes involving academic conduct are handled pursuant to the School of Education’s academic misconduct policy.
  • Student Non-Academic Conduct. Disputes involving student conduct of a non-academic nature are governed by the University’s student conduct code.

Filing a Formal Grievance

If the type of grievance is not covered by a specific policy above, students may submit a formal grievance to the University.