Student Life Policies

Alcohol Policies

Both the Washington, DC campus and SAIS Europe maintain policies related to alcohol at student events. (Back to top)

Washington, DC Campus Alcohol Policy for Events Led by Student Organizations

This policy applies to events led by student organizations and clubs at Washington, DC campus. The policy is intended to provide clear, consistent and constructive guidelines for the consumption and serving of alcoholic beverages. Events in which alcohol is sold or money is exchanged (e.g. Happy Hours) are covered under a separate policy superseding this one. In every instance where consumption is permitted, the individuals and organizations involved are responsible for compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws, this policy, and other applicable regulations. (Back to top)

On Campus Events

Student organizations should indicate whether and how alcohol will be involved in their event when requesting a room reservation. Requests must be received at least two weeks in advance of the date of the event and approved by the Office of Student life prior to requesting a room.   The events reservation system requires the event organizer list the JHU point of contact responsible for ensuring compliance with the school’s alcohol policies governing student events determined by the Office of Student Life.

Events may not involve fees for participation when alcohol is being served. This includes charging for food, admission or registration, collecting suggested donations or any direct means of collecting money to fund the event or any aspect of the event. The only exceptions are for the Friday Happy Hours and other hallmark special events sponsored by the Student Government Association, for which a District of Columbia Class "F" license has been obtained. The school does not obtain licenses for other types of student-led events.

Only beer and/or wine may be consumed. In very limited cases students may request permission from the Office of Student Life to serve other kinds of alcohol when it is specifically related to the cultural nature of the event.

The Office of Student Life will review event requests involving alcohol to determine approval or denial. Consideration may be based on the following criteria, which are not exhaustive:

  • Value of the event to the school community and the extent to which this value would be diminished without involving alcohol.
  • Size and scope of the event relative to the number of responsible students in attendance (see information on Event Supervisors).
  • Location of the event and expected proportion of audience members from outside the school community.

As part of the approval process, the hosting student organization must designate a student member(s) to supervise each event to ensure compliance with the school’s student alcohol policies. For events in the Washington, DC campus “big 3” auditoriums, students may also be asked by Student Life to designate a staff or faculty Event Supervisor. This Event Supervisor must be present at all times and must confirm in advance their responsibility for the management of the event in accordance with the laws of the District of Columbia, and the stated school policies, including but not limited to the following:

  • Taking adequate measures to confirm that those who are consuming alcohol are over 21 years old.
  • Ensuring consumption is limited to no more than one drink per person at a time.
  • Ensuring no one who is already intoxicated or appears to be intoxicated is drinking alcohol. The Office of Student Life will make available a Responsible Service document to provide information on the signs of intoxication and ability to metabolize drinks.
  • Limiting alcohol consumption to the reserved room(s).
  • Ensuring participants leave the event safely. This may include securing reliable transportation or escorts for participants who appear intoxicated.
  • Ensuring any remaining alcohol is packed up and stored upon exit.
  • Reporting any concerns during the event to Security.

The Event Supervisor, any member of the security staff, Director of Operations, or Office of Student Life has the authority to terminate the event and/or distribution or consumption of alcohol at any time and may remove from an event anyone who violates or attempts to violate the above policies.

In addition to the above polices, the following rules apply:

  • No alcohol may be brought in and consumed by individuals unless the host or student organization has received prior permission, in writing, from the Office of Student Life. If permission is granted, the “bring-your-own-beverage” system will apply to beer and wine only, brought unopened in the containers they were sold in (e.g. no flasks, squeeze bottles or other containers allowed) and consumed by those who are over 21 years of age. Up to one bottle of wine or one six-pack of beer may be brought in per person, to be shared with others, unless otherwise approved by the Office of Student Life. The Office of Student Life reserves the right to require that all alcohol be brought to one central location at the event and that it be served one drink at a time to those who have shown a valid government-issued photo ID.
  • The student event supervisor and/or Office of Student Life will make security aware of any student-led event where alcohol consumption has been approved. The Security department is responsible for determining the appropriate security arrangements, if necessary, for each event. Student organizations will be notified if they are expected to cover any costs for these services.
  • The host must make non-alcoholic beverages and food available in reasonable proximity at or to the event.
  • Publicity for events at which alcoholic beverages are permitted to be served should not encourage overindulgence in alcohol or promote alcohol abuse. Alcohol should not be the main focus of the advertisements.

Hosts, Event Supervisors, or participants that fail to follow any of these policies may face the following consequences following the event:

  • Loss of the privilege of serving alcohol at their events or serving as Event Supervisors.
  • Loss of the privilege of hosting events.
  • Loss of status as a student organization.
  • Disciplinary action through the Student Conduct Code Procedure as described in this handbook.
  • Additional criminal or civil sanctions and liability may apply outside of the school.

The Student Government Association is responsible for providing training opportunities to the leaders of student organizations each semester, and for recommending changes or additions to this policy to the Office of Student Life. Appeals of the decisions of the Office of Student Life should be directed to the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. The Assistant Dean for Student Affairs serves as the responsible school official for overall administration of the alcohol policy for student-led events and the disciplinary process for student violations of the alcohol policy.

The Senior Associate Dean of Finance and Administration may grant written permission for exceptions to the above listed policies according to discretion. (Back to top)

  • “SAIS”: The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Washington, DC or Bologna, Italy (when applicable).
  • “Student”: Any currently enrolled person, full-time or part-time, or on continuous enrollment, pursuing graduate or professional studies, whether or not in pursuit of a degree or of any form of certificate of completion.
  • “SGA”: Student Government Association which serves as the primary interface between students and the school administration.
  • “Student organizations or clubs”: Any number of students who have complied with school’s requirements for registration with the SGA as a student organization.
  • “School premises”: buildings or grounds owned or leased by JHU in Washington, DC and Bologna, Italy (when applicable).
  • “Student-led events”: events and activities initiated and run primarily by a student or student organization, and not a University department, faculty member, or employee.
  • “Hosts” of a University-sponsored activity are the student organization(s) or University department(s), faculty member(s). (Back to top)

SAIS Europe Alcohol Policy

Where practicable and in compliance with relevant Italian laws, the policy at SAIS Europe will mirror that of the Washington, DC campus as outlined here, with the following differences:

  • The Director of Student Affairs and the Director of Finance and Administration/Vice Director will authorize and enforce the alcohol policies at SAIS Europe. The latter has the discretion to grant written permission for exceptions.
  • Students and/or student organizations are prohibited from selling alcoholic beverages of any kind. Only licensed employees of the SAIS Europe Café (Giulio’s Bar) are authorized to do so on Johns Hopkins University property.
  • The legal drinking age in Italy is 18. (Back to top)

Disabilities and Accommodations

Johns Hopkins University is committed to providing an accessible and welcoming learning environment for students with disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its 2008 Amendments, as well as Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The Johns Hopkins University Disability Services collaborates with students, faculty, and staff to provide equitable, inclusive, and sustainable learning environments that promote academic success for all. Johns Hopkins University is committed to making academic programs, support services and facilities accessible.

To begin the registration process with Student Disability Services and to establish eligibility for disability related accommodations and services, please complete and submit the SDS Online Registration Form and upload supporting documentation. Once your form and documentation are received, the next step in the process will be to meet with an SDS professional staff member to discuss your needs and potential accommodations. If you have any difficulty providing documentation or need more information about any aspect of the process, please contact the Office of Student Life in Washington, DC or the SAIS Europe Office of Student Affairs.

Please consult the JHU Documentation Guidelines for Individuals with Disabilities or contact the appropriate Student Affairs team for your campus for further specification. Johns Hopkins University reserves the right to request or require more current or updated documentation. Documentation may be submitted to us at any time; however, students should leave a margin of at least three weeks prior to the intended start of the accommodation in order to provide adequate time for review and processing of the request.

Student Life will inform the student of the status of the request within five business days from the intended beginning of the accommodation. Accommodations take effect upon approval and apply to the remainder of the time for which a student is registered and enrolled. 

The Johns Hopkins University Executive Director of Student Disability Services reviews student documentation and reserves the right to determine the most effective and timely accommodations after consultation with the student. There are detailed procedures for use of the services and accommodations. (Back to top)

Health Insurance

University policy requires that all active degree-seeking SAIS students maintain comprehensive health insurance coverage to provide protection against unexpected accidents and illnesses. Students must purchase the university’s student health insurance or complete a waiver demonstrating health insurance coverage comparable to the university plan. Waiver forms are available a few weeks prior to the start of the semester in SIS Self-Service. The plan must be U.S.-based if studying at the Washington, DC campus. At SAIS Europe, students may waive from the plan if they are an EU citizen who is already enrolled in their EU country's national health service. All active degree-seeking students will be automatically enrolled in the university health insurance plan unless their waiver is approved. Students whose waivers have been denied may contact the Office of Student Life at their campus of study to appeal. Degree-seeking students must be enrolled in at least one course to be eligible for the university’s health insurance plan. Per Johns Hopkins University policy, students on an F1 or J1 visa in the United States as well as non-European Union citizens in Italy are ineligible to waive out of the student health benefits. For more information, visit the Student Health Benefits page on the JHU Human Resources website. (Back to top)


Students studying at the Washington, DC campus or SAIS Europe are responsible for securing their own housing arrangements; neither campus has residential facilities. The Off-Campus Housing website may assist students in their housing search in Washington, DC. SAIS Europe collaborates with various rental agencies, property managers, and student residences to minimize the difficulty of finding housing for incoming students. (Back to top)

Identification Cards (JCards)

The Washington, DC campus student identification card (JCard) is available for students studying at the Washington, DC campus. Students must submit a photo in advance. Students may use their JCards to gain entry into the school buildings at all times and to check out books from the library. When the Washington, DC campus buildings are noted as closed, there will be no access for students with JCards and visitors without JCards, even if accompanied by faculty or staff with a JCard. JCards, with sufficient funds added can be used to pay for printing and copying. If a student loses their JCard, they will be charged a replacement fee of $20.

SAIS Europe students submit a photo to the Information and Communications Technology office (ICT).  The ICT office creates a card which students will find upon arrival, or after they have submitted the photo. The card can be picked from the Reception Desk in the Lobby, or from the Welcome Desk in the lobby before classes start. Photos are used for the student identification card, the internal website (BCWeb) and for the third-floor identification board. The ID card is not a legal document, but is required for printing, photocopying and library loans. If a student loses their SAIS Europe ID card, they will be charged a replacement fee of €10. (Back to top)

Information and Technology Services

Information & Technology Services (ITS) at the Washington, DC campus and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) at SAIS Europe offer numerous services to students, including wireless Internet access and email. Neither campus has a dedicated computer lab, but students at the Washington, DC campus have access to computers in the library, language training center, and the economics lab; students at SAIS Europe have access to computers in the student lounge. To utilize these services, students must first activate their accounts. (Back to top)

Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory Online Services

All students receive a Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory (JHED) ID. The JHED ID is a centralized online source for address, telephone, email and other contact information for students, faculty, and staff at JHU institutions. This database is also used for authentication into online applications, such as billing, registration, grade lookup, SharePoint, Blackboard and remote access to library databases. Students must change their password at least every 6 months. Additionally, students must also keep a mobile emergency alert phone number accurate in the MyJHU MyProfile since it will be used as a secondary authentication method for certain Johns Hopkins sites using MyIT Security Alerts. A student’s JHED ID expires six months after graduation. (Back to top)

Outlook Live Email Account

Each student is provided an Outlook Live email account. The school uses this email account for all administrative communication. Students are required to check their inboxes regularly. A student’s email expires six months after graduation. Students may request an alumni email address after graduation. (Back to top)

Johns Hopkins Student Assistance Program

The Johns Hopkins Student Assistance Program (JHSAP) is a professional counseling service that assists enrolled students with managing problems of daily living, such as stress, relationships and other demands that might affect their emotional well-being. JHSAP is a confidential resource that can help identify stressful situations and problems and support students in addressing them. JHSAP services focus on problem solving through short-term counseling. The program is fully sponsored by the university and provided to the student at no cost. For more information or to schedule an appointment, visit the JHSAP website or call 443-287-7000.

Through a partnership between SAIS Europe and the University on Bologna counseling center, students in Bologna may meet an  English-speaking psychologist up to four (4) times per  academic year. Students may access the UNIBO Counseling Center  by emailing or by contacting the SAIS Europe Director of Student Affairs. (Back to top)


At the Washington, DC campus, lockers for full-time students may be arranged with the Office of Student Life. At SAIS Europe, one locker may be claimed freely by full-time students. Locker assignments are on a first-come, first-served basis. Lockers are located in the basement of both campuses. Students are responsible for providing their own locks. Students must empty their lockers at the end of May each year. The school claims no responsibility for items left in or above lockers that may be disposed of by a future tenant or by the school. On June 15, all lockers are opened and cleaned. Lockers are reassigned to current students each year. (Back to top)


SAIS Europe students who wish to have a mailbox may ask at the Reception Desk to have a mailbox assigned to them and obtain the key at the same time. The first key is free, but if it is lost or broken during the year, copies cost €10 each.  The mailboxes are used for incoming postal mail and for returning exams and/or papers. They are located at the foot of the stairs going up to the Student Lounge (next to cafeteria/copy center). Students are requested return the key to the Reception Desk prior to departure. The mailboxes will be cleared out after June 15 and contents will be discarded.

Mailboxes are not provided at the Washington, DC campus. (Back to top)

Media on Campus

Students at the Washington, DC campus who want to bring outside media personnel to campus, must request permission by sending an email request to Violations will be subject to Student Conduct Code procedures. Students at SAIS Europe should consult with the Director of Communications and Marketing. (Back to top)

Student Government Association

The Student Government Association (SGA) serves as the primary interface between students and the administration. The SGA is an advocate between the administration, faculty, alumni, and other student groups, and strives to enhance the quality of student life at the school. The SGA seeks continuous improvement of key SAIS performance indicators, including career placement, student satisfaction, academic satisfaction, and alumni participation, and engages students in social activities and functions.

At the Washington, DC campus, elections are held in early April for the President, Treasurer and Programming Chair who take office the subsequent academic year. Each September an election is held for the remaining seats that include two first-year MAIR students, one MAGP student, one MIEF student and one MIPP student.

At SAIS Europe, the SGA consists of five members. Elections are held in early May for the President who will take office the subsequent academic year. The remaining four members are elected throughout Pre-Term and the first few weeks of the fall semester.  Details pertaining to candidacy and elections will be shared with students throughout the summer.

The number of SGA members, voting time period, and cabinet positions may vary depending on the current cabinet and cohort sizes. Any changes to SGA membership will be made by the sitting SGA and will be determined by a majority vote. (Back to top)

Travel by Students

Students often travel internationally for internships or pursue other educational opportunities. Such travel may take them to places where personal safety and security are potentially at issue. All students contemplating travel are urged to take advantage of available resources to monitor safety conditions in other countries.

Students traveling on a university-sponsored activity (including those funded by the Student Internship Fund) outside of the country where their campus is located are required to complete the International Travel Protocol Packet located under the Student Services tab on the Insider Portal. Students must complete this form at least two weeks prior to departure.

If students receive institutional funding for any travel, sponsoring school academic programs and administrative offices will verify submission of this information before authorizing release of funds. (Back to top)

Visas and Other Immigration Matters

The Office of International Services (OIS) at the Washington, DC Campus is charged with monitoring legislation, regulations, and policies at the federal, state, and local levels that affect international educational exchange, and with interpreting and applying those directives in the school environment in support of The Johns Hopkins University’s teaching, research, and community service goals.

OIS serves as the main resource for information regarding maintenance of a student’s legal status in the United States and their employment options. OIS staff does not work for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and is not an agent of the U.S. government. The position is however, charged with administering the F and J federal visa programs and is responsible for university compliance with federal regulations governing those programs.

International students are personally responsible for maintaining their immigration status throughout their stay in the United States and are encouraged to seek advice from OIS staff to ensure compliance with the appropriate regulations. (Back to top)

Registration with U.S. Immigration

Students need to understand their responsibility for maintaining their legal status in the United States especially with respect to reporting to immigration authorities.

Students are required by immigration law to report to OIS.

  • F-1 students must report to OIS no later than 30 days after the program start date listed on the student’s I-20 Form.
  • J-1 students must report to OIS within 30 days of the program start date listed on the student’s DS-2019 Form.
  • Students should report sufficiently in advance of the 30-day deadline to allow the school to complete the initial Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) registration process before the deadline.
  • SEVIS records of students who do not register with immigration authorities within the stated timeframe will be automatically invalidated. (Back to top)

Student Responsibilities

Students are responsible for maintaining their legal status in the United States. This includes:

  • continuously enrolling in a full-time status while an F or J student and the conditions under which a reduced course load is permitted with prior authorization from OIS.
  • maintaining valid documentation such as I-20/DS-2019, passport, and I-94 record.
  • obtaining an updated immigration document for a student and/or any dependents when there is a significant change in funding source, level of study, leave of absence, withdrawal, etc.
  • following the employment guidelines associated with the particular immigration status with respect to the number of hours per week a student may legally work and the types of employment in which a student may legally engage.
  • requesting a new immigration document if traveling outside the United States for more than five months.
  • making reasonable progress toward the degree and to request any needed extensions before the current student status expires.
  • informing OIS of any changes of the residential address within 10 days of the move while in the United States in F or J status.

Additional information may be found on the OIS website. (Back to top)

Work Authorization in the United States for International Students (CPT/OPT)

Students on an F-1 or J-1 visa must meet certain criteria in order to receive work authorization from OIS. Prior to pursuing any outside employment, including internships and practical training, international students should consult the guidelines for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) on the OIS website. Eligibility for CPT and OPT will be determined by the Office of Academic Advising in conjunction with the Office of International Services. (Back to top)

SAIS Europe

All non-EU/EEA students attending SAIS Europe are required to obtain a permesso di soggiorno, a temporary residence permit for study in Bologna. Students who do not comply may have a registration hold placed on their record. Students with a hold will not be able to register for courses or add/drop courses that are currently in their record until the permit is obtained and the hold is removed.

Non-US MAIR students at SAIS Europe who plan to continue for the second year of the MAIR at the Washington, DC campus usually apply for the US student visa toward the end of the second semester at SAIS Europe. In early spring, OIS staff will facilitate information sessions and office hours to provide all relevant information and guidance. Students should be aware that they must provide proof of financial means to cover the full cost of attendance at the Washington, DC campus. (Back to top)