MA in Public Management / Certificate in Data Analytics and Policy
Students pursuing a MA in Public Management may obtain an additional credential by completing a sequence of courses offered by the Certificate in Data Analytics and Policy. This combined credential will require students to complete 15 courses (in lieu of 17 to complete both degrees separately).
At a time when governments are faced with an array of unprecedented challenges, good management and the ability to analyze and apply data is essential. The Johns Hopkins MA in Public Management/Certificate in Data Analytics and Policy trains students in the fundamentals of public management (policy analysis, financial management, economics and public administration) along with the ability to develop actionable insights from diverse sets of data, as well as the communication skills needed to share findings with decision makers and the public.
In addition to the materials and credentials required for all programs, the MA in Public Management requires:
- A writing sample of two to five pages that is policy oriented. If the applicant does not have a policy-oriented paper that they wish to submit, the applicant may write a three page, double-spaced essay on the following question:
“A memorandum is not written to inform the reader, but to protect the writer.” —Former Secretary of State Dean Acheson
Please discuss whether you think the quote from former Secretary Acheson is accurate or not and why?
and the Certificate in Data Analytics and Policy requires:
- Statement of purpose (two pages double-spaced): Explain your reasons for seeking admission and how you will use the certificate to advance your career. Your statement should also address your ability or potential to perform a quantitative analysis.
Applicants should also be aware of the following:
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Please note the Public Management program requires a minimum online TOEFL test score of 105 and an IELTS score of 7. The admissions committee carefully reviews each test subcategory or band (reading, writing, speaking, listening) to ensure candidates have the required language skills for the program.
- A solid foundation in American government and economics is strongly recommended for those applying to the Public Management program.
- Though not required, Public Management applicants are welcome to submit the GRE. Applicants who wish to highlight their ability to meet the writing and quantitative requirements of the program should consider this option
|Core Courses - Required:|
|AS.470.608||Public Policy Evaluation & the Policy Process||3|
|AS.470.627||Financial Management & Analysis in the Public Sector||3|
|AS.470.631||Economics for Public Decision-Making||3|
|AS.470.854||Fundamentals of Quantitative Methods||3|
|AS.470.695||Proseminar: Essentials of Public and Private Management||3|
|AS.470.860||Capstone for Public Management||3|
|Four Public Management Electives||12|
|Certificate in Data Analytics and Policy Core Courses|
|Core Course - Required:|
|AS.470.681||Probability and Statistics||3|
|Three Data Analytics and Policy Electives||9|