Five-Year Accelerated B.A./M.A. Program with Sciences Po

Students may apply to participate in a five-year accelerated B.A./M.A. program with Sciences Po, one of Europe’s finest schools of political science. The B.A./M.A. Program is aimed principally at students who are interested in international affairs and who would like to develop their intellectual and professional capabilities from an international and multidisciplinary perspective. After the junior year, students spend two years at Sciences Po’s Paris campus completing graduate-level coursework at the Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA), which houses the majority of Sciences Po’s internationally-oriented master’s programs. PSIA is a bilingual institution, thus students may choose to pursue either an English or French track. Students may also elect to pursue a master’s degree at the School of Journalism, School of Communication, or School of Law. Students interested in an academic career may also choose to pursue a research master’s with the Doctoral Program at Sciences Po. Students who are not proficient in French will also pursue French language training during their course of study.

Applicants follow an application and review process similar to the one for the SAIS BA/MA program. Approximately three to four sophomores are selected each year for the Sciences Po program. Students pay tuition to Johns Hopkins for the first year in Paris and to Sciences Po for the second. Financial aid from Johns Hopkins continues only through the end of a student’s fourth year.

Progress toward the B.A./M.A. Degree

Students in the Sciences Po BA/MA program spend their first three years at the Homewood campus and the last two at Sciences Po. Students receive the B.A. degree at the end of their first year at Sciences Po and the M.A. at the end of their second year.

Students selected for the accelerated program may study abroad during their Homewood years on a case by case basis and should discuss their plans with the International Studies Program Director before submitting an application to the Office of Study Abroad.